Situated north-eastern part of Zimbabwe
- Area 32 230 km2
9 Districts:- Chikomba, Goromonzi, Marondera, Mudzi, Mudzi, Murehwa, Mutoko, Seke, Uzumba-Maramba-Pfungwe and Wedza.
- Population: 1.35 million.
- Literacy rate: 85%.
- Comparative/competitive advantages: mining, agriculture, horticulture and animals
Visiting Mashonaland East
- Main attraction is Imire Game Park- Wedza with four of the big five.
- Mbizi and Bushman Rock wildlife and safaris in Goromonzi.
- Nyatana National Park in Mudzi and UMP.
- Domborembudzi mountain in Murewa and Mutoko.
- Tsindi ruins in Marondera
- Manize and Makurumure waterfalls, Chikomba and Wedza respectively.
- Famous Jerusalem (Mbende) dance, Murehwa and Mafuwe dance (Mudzi and UMP)
- Scenic views suitable for filming industry- Goromonzi, UMP, Murewa.
- Strong and richly endowed in Agricultural; Horticultural; Animal and Mining produce.
- - has the largest lithium deposits in Africa and 6th in the world(Goromonzi District).
- -50 years lithium deposits- ranked 6th in the world.
- -largest black granite diamond deposits in the country in Mutoko and UMP and is of the best quality in Zimbabwe.
- - huge potential to trade in granite products.
- - High production of wheat, tobacco, maize, soya beans, fruits, vegetables, groundnuts, honey, sunflower, livestock and horticulture.
- -Dairy products- milk and it’s by-products.
- -Attractive for inter-provincial and international trade in-terms of mining plant and machinery, coal for crop processing, irrigation equipment and machinery, as well as wine processing machinery.
- Granite extraction, cutting and polishing.
- Lithium mining
- Vegetable and fruit processing plants.
- Value addition in the agro-value chains-beans, cereals, milk, horticulture.
- Expansion and resuscitation of existing and idle irrigation schemes.
- Rehabilitation of Mukuyu Wineries.
- Conferencing facilities in all the 9 districts.
- Rehabilitation of Cold Storage Company in Marondera.
- Development of tourist attractions- Manize, Nyatana etc.
- Combination of favorable climate and rich soils, greater part lies in natural region 2A and 2B where intensive farming takes place.
- Rainfall ranges from 750- 1000mm and temperatures averaging 25-30 degrees Celsius.
- Abundant water bodies to support agro-activities in-terms of irrigation of crops, livestock and pastureland.
- Served by three trunk roads;- Harare-Nyamapanda (road), Harare-Mutare (road and rail), and Harare-Beitbridge (road).
- Optic fibre cable from Beira runs through Murewa, Marondera and Goromonzi. Also served by almost all telecommunications companies in Zimbabwe
- Closeness to R. G. Mugabe International Airport- easy export of fresh produce.
- Huge market for products in nearby Harare and Chitungwiza.
- Lithium deposits largest in Africa and 6th in the world.
- High concentration of educational institutions some ranked the best in the country (St Ignatius, Goromonzi, Peterhouse, Monte Cassino, Women’ University,
- Marondera University, Nyadire Trs’ College e.t.c.)
- Stock feed companies, milk processing and day-old chick production companies are in the province (Kefalos, Irvines, National Foods, Manyame Milling, Agrifoods, Super Chicks e.t.c.)
- Existence of agro-research institutions (Grasslands, Horticultural Research and Productivity Research Laboratory)
Minister of State for Provincial Affairs, Mashonaland East Province
Director, Provincial Affairs
0712 884 646/0772 946 425/ 0279 26257
0773 630 088/0279 24358/20749