1. Implement the SMEs policy.
2. Formulate policies for SMEs development.
3. Develop legal and regulatory framework for SMEs development.
4. Promote, coordinate and monitor innovative financing schemes for SMEs.
5. Provide skills and management training that support entrepreneurship and small business growth.
6. Facilitate linkages between large-scale enterprises and SMEs .
7. Business consultancy services to SMEs.
8. Ensure that infrastructural facilities are provided for SMEs.
9. Research into investment and marketing opportunities for SMEs.
10. Develop and Maintain data base for SMEs.
11. Administer the SME Empowerment Fund.
12. Liaise with sector Ministries involved in the promotion of SMEs.
13. Provide financial, administrative and human resources management and support services.