To ensure the provision of adequate and sustainable energy through formulating and implementing effective Policies and Regulatory Frameworks.
- The overall functions for the Ministry are as follows:
- Formulate and implement energy and power development policies.
- Develop a legal and regulatory framework for the energy sector.
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of approved energy and power development policies and programmes.
- Initiate and implement desirable reforms in the power and petroleum sectors.
- Facilitate the empowerment of indigenous players in the sector.
- Plan and coordinate energy supply and power development options.
- Create an enabling investment environment in the energy sector.
- Provide oversight on state enterprises and parastatals in the energy sector.
- Promote the development and efficient utilization of renewable and non-renewable sources of energy.
- Promote the use of energy efficient technologies and techniques.
- Develop a database on energy use technologies and investment opportunities as well as disseminate such information.
- Facilitate the implementation of research and development in the energy sector.