Mashonaland West Province with an area of 57 441 square kms, is the second largest province in Zimbabwe and has a population of 1.5 million (2012). Chinhoyi is the capital of the province and other urban centres are Kadoma, Chegutu, Norton, Karoi, Kariba, Banket and Chirundu.
- The Province has seven administrative districts and these are; Kariba, Sanyati, Zvimba, Chegutu, Makonde, Mhondoro Ngezi and Hurungwe.
- The urban and rural local authorities are semi autonomous and these are run by elected councillors and a Secretariat.
- The Province is located to the North of the country and shares the international border with Zambia in the North.
- Internally, the provinces borders with Midlands Province in the West, Matebeleland North in the West, Mashonaland Central in the East, Harare and Mashonaland East in South East.
- The urban local authorities and rural local authorities are semi autonomous and these are run by elected councillors.
VISIT Mashonaland West
The main attraction is the deep blue natural pool referred to as the sleeping pool which maintains the same temperature all year round.
Many people believe the caves are sacred
Mythical lake Kariba & The Mighty Zambezi River
Largest manmade lake in africa, the home of the mythical nyami nyami snake/the river God
Matusadonha National Park
Situated on the southern shore of lake Kariba
Kariba Recreational Park
- Known for the Tiger Tournament, fishing, House Boat cruises
Heroes Monument,Battle Site & Shrine
- The cradle of second Chimurenga
Wildlife viewing (Big Five) and walking safaris
- Lake Chivero Recreational Park - Located 20km from Harare
- Mazvikadei (Masvikasei)Dam
- Boat cruises & canoeing
- Kuimba Shiri Bird Park - Situated on the shores of lake chivero boasting of 460 species of indigeneous birds
- The only bird park in Zimbabwe
Snake, Lion & Cheater Parks
Situated along Harare-Buluwayo 20km from the capital city
Cultural Heritage Sites
Chewore , kentucky farm rock art site, Mahwindo Falls & Magweto Caves in Hurungwe, Rock paintings in Zvimba
TRADE in Mashonaland West:
- Maize & maize seed
- Soya Bean & soya bean seed
- Horticultural Products- Flowers, peas, green beans, chillies, tomatoes, onions, potatoes
- Macademia Nuts
- Crocodiles & related products- meat, leather/skinCattle & related produts- beef, milk
Platinum, Gold, Copper, Chrome, Slates, Zinc, Dolomite, Graphite, Limestone, tomaline
- Trophy Hunting
Arts - Sculptors, paintings
Invest in Mashonaland West
- Irrigation infrastructure-centre pivots
- Farming equipment- driers, combined harvesters, Boom sprays, vicon
- Agro-processing plants-eg milling companies, canning, leather tanning
- Manufacturing factories- fertiliser and agro-chemicals
- Development of a resort city in Kariba-(The Michael Jackson dream)
- Hospitality industry infrastructure-hotels, lodges, restaurants, boats
- Development of sporting facilities around water bodies, Golf courses, tennis courts etc
- Airport and airstrip for Kariba, Chinhoyi respectively
- Road construction- Harare-Chirundu, Makuti-Kariba, Makuti-Mana Pools, Karoi-Vicfalls
- Railway construction-Linking Harare, Kariba and Chirundu
- Housing development and related infrastructure in Local Authorities
- Construction of Industrial Parks
- Construction of Colleges and Universities
- Dam construction
- Hydro-Power generation
- Solar power generation
- Mash West has the highest number of water bodies – 240- offering huge opportunities for irrigation, fish farming and water sport.
- Chirundu One -Stop boarder post- facilitate trade in Africa
- Availability of land in virtually every Local Authorities for infrastructure development
- Only province with a Bird Park-Kuimba Shiri Bird Park
- Mythical Lake Kariba- largest manmade lake in Africa
- Mythical Chirorodziva- Chinhoyi Caves and the sleeping pool
- Highest number of silos in Zimbabwe-8/13-opportunity to invest in driers which is a big business.
- The climate and soils are conducive for growing virtually any type of crop