The Province is located on the southern part of the country sharing boundaries with Botswana and South Africa.
- It poses as a gateway and corridor to most SADC economies and boasts of the busiest inland port of entry in Sub-Saharan Africa handling large volumes of traffic.
- The Province has a population of 683 893 people and a total of 54 172 km2 .
- The province has 7 administrative districts with Gwanda as its capital.
- It has 512 primary schools and 161Secondary schools
- It has two - 2 universities (Gwanda State and Solusi )
- It has 133 health facilities, 51 Government- 54 RDCs – 13 Missions – 3 Municipality and 8 Private.
- It lies in agro- ecological regions 1V and V with erratic rainfall patterns.
- The province is endowed with a wide range of natural resources and livestock.
- It is home to a World heritage site - Matopos Hills.
Places to Visit
MATOPOS NATIONAL PARK – largest concentration of leopards and harbours the endangered white rhino
- Cecil john rhodes grave
- King mzilikazi grave
- Chipise hotsprings
- Lumene falls
- Matshatshana falls
- Diana’s pools
- Danan’mombe ruins
- The matopos world’s veiw
- Dlodlo ruins
- Nkankezi ruins
- Regina ruins
- Lusvingo ruins
- Cultural tourism
- Njelele cutural shrine
- Dula shrine
- MINERALS - The Province is endowed with precious minerals such as Gold, Diamonds, Platinum, Salt deposits,Copper,Emralds, Lithium, Tungsten, , Asbestos and Nickel. Vast Untapped deposits of Arsenic, Aventurine, Bismuth, Chromim, Limestone and Coal are also available..
- LIVESTOCK - the vast open grazing land , rich in sweet grass and good vegetation, allows farmers to produce high quality organic indigenous and exotic cattle and goat breeds. MOPANI WORMS ( amacimbi / madora )- Twice a year people from all over the country come and harvest Mopani worms for reselling in their provinces. This delicacy is found in the seven districts of the province.
- AGRICULTURE – SMALL GRAIN, OIL PRODUCTION(MARULA ,SOYA AND PEANUT), FRUIT JUICE , PEACAN NUT , LIEIGS BEEF CANNING, GOAT PRODUCTION, BEE KEEPING, HERBAL GARDENS, CATTLE BREEDING ( NKONI AND TULI BREEDS )
- MINING - The Province is endowed with precious minerals such as Gold, Diamonds, Platinum, Salt deposits, Copper,Emralds, Lithium, Tungsten, , Asbestos and Nickel.
- TOURISM – Availability of state of the art luxury accommodation and tourist attraction areas.EDUCATION- Construction of Gwanda State University.
- HEALTH- Availability of land for building private hospitals.
- ENERGY- Gwanda, plumtree and beitbridge solar installation stations.
- MOPANI WORMS ( amacimbi / madora )- Twice a year people from all over the country come and harvest Mopani worms for reselling in their provinces. This delicacy is found in the seven districts of the province.`
- DIVERSITY- Matabeleland South boasts of the Venda, Kalanga , Ndebele,Sotho, San , Shangani and Xhosa people. ( cultural tourism )
MATABELELAND SOUTH PROVINCE
KILIPATI/BIGBEN ROADBOX 146
TEL 0284- 24409